The demand for affordable housing with modern amenities has significantly increased year over year. With globalization, domestic economic growth and higher birth rates, the number of people looking for housing will only increase. Most people used to choose site-built homes for a number of reasons. However, as the quality and affordability of manufactured homes has increased, they now offer people a chance to be homeowners at a fraction of the price of a traditional site-built home. Let’s take a look at why mobile/manufactured housing can provide a solution to housing affordability problems.
How much does a mobile home cost?
As compared to traditional site-built single family homes, mobile homes provide the same quality of life, at a much more affordable rate of investment. The average single family home in the US sells for close to $450,000, almost double that of a triple-wide mobile home unit.
The cost of a mobile home depends on a number of factors – the type of home, its condition, where you buy it, and any additions you may want to add. The most important is the size of the unit you want to purchase. There are three basic sizes to choose from:
- Single-wide: This can have a range of 90ft long and 18 feet wide. A new single-wide unit on average would cost you around $50,000, while previously owner units could range between $10,000 and $25,000 – making them ideal for someone in search of an affordable housing option, without a large down payment.
- Double-wide: They are generally close to double the size of a single-wide though they can vary in size to a maximum of length of 90ft and width of 36ft. They can range from around 1200 to 1900 sq. ft. with an average cost of about $107,000. These can be ideal for a couple or a small family, or even an individual who would prefer a bit more space.
- Triple-wide: These units are much larger than the previous two options, and can be the perfect home for a large family in need of housing on a budget. They have an average cost of around $250,000, and can have a maximum size of 3000 sq. ft.
How do you save money with a mobile home?
Now that you know what a mobile home will cost you, let’s look at some other ways in which mobile homes provide cost effective housing solutions!
- Faster, more efficient construction
Since most mobile/manufactured homes are built in factories, they are built to be assembled, leading to faster construction times with fewer workers required. The pieces of each unit can now be created with 3D technology, helping create perfect, seamless pieces that fit into each other. Instead of having to be constructed from scratch, these pieces are assembled like building blocks, which cuts down construction times from months and years, into days and weeks.
- Energy efficiency
Similar to site-built homes, new mobile/manufactured homes can be designed to save money, while improving on energy efficiency. You can save a ton of money by making small changes to your mobile home. By installing energy efficient windows/doors insulating your house and using your roof to mount solar panels you can reduce your energy bills. New modular housing units save on energy by featuring solar water heaters, higher levels of insulation, water-saving faucets and fixtures as well as energy-saving lights.
- Ease of entry into homeownership
This is one of the most important ways in which homeownership can save you money in the long-term, especially if you would otherwise be stuck renting a house for years. Imagine that you bought a small used mobile home at around $25,000, with a mortgage payment and a lot rent that add up to around $750 a month. You would be able to own your own home in a little less than 3 years. Even if you re-sold it at a discount, that’s 3 years worth of rent pocketed – right into your savings account! Homeownership is a responsibility, but it is also a privilege. You can use your mobile home as collateral for future loans, while paying your mortgage on time will help build your credit score.
An average utility bill for a mobile home is $150 cheaper than a traditional built home!
- Bulk Furnishings
Another big reason you save money with prefabricated home /mobile homes is that you usually get them furnished, with a few appliances that you will agree upon before you buy it. Instead of wasting money and time, hunting and buying appliances that you need, they are provided within your home, at a bargain price since the home manufacturers buy in bulk from the appliance companies. You might not get the exact appliances you want, but if you are looking for a budget-friendly solution, this is it!
These are just a few of the reasons why mobile and modular homes are a cost-effective solution to the housing affordability issue in the US.